Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thai Tuesday

Today I had my first experience with Thai food, and I must say it was awesome!  We had lunch at Sweet Basil Thai near Northeast Mall in Hurst, TX.  It doesn't look very impressive from the outside, but sometimes those are the best places to eat.  The service was great.  Our glasses were never empty (I hate waiting for refills) and the staff was incredibly friendly.  The three of us shared an order of egg rolls, which were among the best I've ever eaten. 

I ordered the pumpkin curry chicken, one of today's lunch specials, with a house salad.  The salad was very fresh, with what I think was a peanut and ginger dressing - very tasty.  The curry was a little too spicy for my taste (I'm a bit of a wimp) but the flavor was so wonderful I ate as much as I could. It did come with steamed rice, which helped to cool the burn between bites of the main dish.  I think this was the first time I've eaten pumpkin, other than in a pie or bread.  A day of firsts for me!

Josh had their panang curry with chicken and soup.  I don't know what the soup was called, but it tasted really good.  And it had just the right amount of spice for me.   I was afraid to taste his chicken, as the whole dish was covered in red pepper flakes (he ordered it hot).  Josh says it had good flavor and depth, and the spiciness was just right for him.  His only complaint was that the green beans could have been cooked just a little longer. 

Their kids menu is very limited (choice of chicken tenders and fries or fried rice) but I guess that's understandable.  Most kids aren't as willing to try new foods as Levi.  He chose chicken fried rice and really enjoyed it.  It was, in his words, "egg-tastic."  He also loved that they garnished the dish with veggies, but didn't care for the red cabbage. 

One other thing I have to mention is their iced tea.  It was great!  It definitely wasn't your regular ol' Lipton tea.  Sadly, I forgot to ask our server what it was.  Maybe jasmine?  I'll try to ask next time, because this is a place I definitely want to try again.

Egg Rolls
Egg Rolls

Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Rice

Panang Curry
Panang Curry Chicken

Pumpkin Curry Chicken
Pumpkin Curry Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment